Friday, July 29, 2011

How roleplaying can help you write an essay

Okay, so I'm going to try and sound coherent but I don't know how well that'll work since it's a Friday and I didn't take my meds... and I'm going to be writing three blogs back to back, but I'll do my best.

So my English professor had commented on this way at the beginning of the class after he assigned the first essay, a personal narrative. I was complimented on my excellent use of descriptive words. When asked about our writing process, I had said that the essay was pretty easy for me to write because I love to write and I roleplay.

I explained that when you roleplay online, you're typing out everything your character does, everything they're wearing, their appearance (hair color, eye color, etc.), and also what they're seeing, thinking, and saying. It's an excellent way to keep your mind productive during the summer when you don't have school. It's certainly helped me with my grammar and spelling, and I believe I've become a better writer because of it as well. Roleplaying almost forces you to be as creative as possible to give anyone else you're RPing with the best response, essentially writing a story. The more descriptive you are, the better the RP experience.

Basically what I had done was treat my paper like a really long RP post. I described all the "characters", the setting, gave some background, and described thoughts and interpretations. Not only did it make it an interesting paper to read, again, almost like a story, it got an A. And my professor said that I should get together with an English professor who roleplays and we could write an article on how using roleplay can help write an essay.

So until I find an English professor who RP's, this blog post will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment