Friday, July 8, 2011

Rediscovering hidden treasures

So this past week was dedicated to yard work and cleaning the garage. Last Saturday was when my parents and I rediscovered the clothes that had been shoved into the back of the garage for a sale many many years ago. Among them was my father's old Military dress coat. Of course it didn't fit him anymore, but it fit me and I've always been into Military clothes. So two pluses were that I got an Army coat, and it has sentimental value because it was my father's. Another item I saved was my grandma's leather jacket, it's pretty stiff from years of being neglected in the garage but with a bit of oiling it'll be just fine. Second score of sentimental jacketness.

 I also found bags of toys that I got excited about, remembering when I played with them. I was the giddiest when I found my old Batman Batcave play set. It was like a Barbie house but cool. And before you say it, Barbie houses were not cool. Batman's Batcave had two levels with a sweet set up of computers with radar and crime trackers, an armory, a jail, a secret entrance to Wayne Manor and to the outside with the Batmobile. Barbie's got a kitchen, bathroom, and a bedroom. She's got nothing on Batman. Did I mention the elevator and fireman pole? Yeah, Batcave had that too. Victory is mine.


I also got to pass on a few treasures. My old western saddle and bridal I had purchased when I was still taking lessons and leasing a horse. A friend of ours owns a farm with her family and has horses. And since I hadn't used them in about a decade I sold them to her. I'd rather know they're going to someone who's going to get use out of them than just sitting around the house collecting dust. So I'm happy.

Cleaning's a pain in the frakking rear but you never know what hidden treasures you might find, or what good homes you can give to passed loved things. But it's probably a good idea not to wait close to two decades to clean out your garage. Your past treasures just might end up current trash. Also, Batman wins. That is all.

1 comment:

  1. I also love finding old treasures and sometimes I think why in the world did I even play with stuff like this it is soo annoying.

    ReplyDelete